These look like you would need a food processor to make them … but you don’t!
Makes about 25-30, depending on what size you roll them. Don’t make them too big — they’re sweet! We like to serve one with a mandarin orange, for a perfect flavour combination.
- Large bowl
- Measuring cup, measuring spoons
- Electric beaters
- Rubber spatula
- 2 quart casserole dish
- Wooden spoon
- Oven mitts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Additional sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Beat eggs well with electric beaters. Add sugar gradually while beating until fluffy. Add vanilla and almond extract and mix in.
- Stir in nuts, dates and coconut.
- Scrape into ungreased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and stir with wooden spoon. Cool until able to handle.
- Roll into small balls and roll in additional sugar. Cool thoroughly. Store in an air-tight container.
Adapted from: Harrowsmith Country Life Baking Book (1992)