Makes 6 servings
- Large pot with lid
- Measuring cups & measuring spoons
- Large stirring spoon
- Can opener
- Cutting board, cutting knife
- Baking sheets or microwave-safe shallow dish
- Oven mitts
- 1 package (680 g) frozen meatballs, turkey meatballs, or veggie meatballs
- 1 each red, yellow and orange pepper, cubed
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1 can (398 ml) pineapple chunks in juice
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ cup ketchup
- 3 Tbs brown sugar
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 Tbs chopped cilantro
- Cooked rice (follow instructions on package for cooking rice)
- Follow instructions on meatballs package for heating meatballs, either in oven or microwave.
- Heat oil in large pot and sauté onions for a few minutes until softened but not browned. Add chopped garlic and hot pepper flakes and stir another minute. Add pepper chunks.
- Add pineapple chunks and juice, broth, ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and paprika. Stir well. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add heated meatballs and simmer another 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir together cornstarch and 2 Tbs cold water until smooth. Stir into meatballs and let simmer 5 minutes until thickened.
- Serve over cooked rice. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Adapted from: Sobeys Compliments recipe