This recipe makes a lot, which is great for us at Drop-in. If you don’t need to feed 40 people, you can easily halve the recipe. Also, the serving size is small, and this is delicious, so you may find people wanting more.
about 40 snack-sized servings (4-6 crisps + ¼ cup salsa)
- 2 or more large baking sheets
- pizza cutter
- microplane grater
- potato masher
- large bowls
- large spoon
- metal spatula
- measuring spoons, measuring cup
- pastry brush
- oven mitts
- 2 x 600-g bags frozen strawberries
- 8 medium apples, cored and diced (but not peeled)
- 1 cup honey
- 2 oranges (carefully wash the oranges beforehand)
- ½ lemon
- Spread the strawberries on a large sheet pan to thaw for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, core and chop your apples into fairly small chunks. Put them in one or two large bowls. To keep them from turning brown, squeeze a bit of lemon juice over them and toss them around.
- Use a microplane grater (or the smallest holes on a box grater) to grate just the outer orange peel (zest) from the two oranges. The white part below the orange is called pith, and it’s more bitter and not so orangey tasting, so you don’t want that.
- Use a potato masher to mush up the strawberries, once they’re fairly thawed. Add them to the apples.
- Add honey and orange zest. Stir well to blend.
- 16 x 9-inch whole-wheat tortillas (or choose gluten-free, if you need this recipe to be gluten-free)
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon, ground
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together.
- Brush the tortillas with water; sprinkle with the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Using the pizza cutter, cut each tortilla into 12 or 16 pieces. (You can use a knife if you don’t have a pizza cutter, but a pizza cutter is easier.)
- Bake for about 5 minutes, until golden and crisp. Watch closely, as they go from golden to burnt very quickly.
Adapted from: http://www.novascotia.ca/hpp/publications/RecipeCards-Eng-Web.pdf
(scroll down to January recipes and look for Strawberry-Apple Salsa / Cinnamon Crisps)