This dessert is sweetened with a few stewed dates — no added sugar. The dates mostly dissolve into a delicious sauce.
- Medium pot with lid
- Cutting board
- Stirring spoon
- Measuring cup, measuring spoons
- 1 cup water
- 8 pitted dates, chopped (more or less – if dates are small, you might want to use a few more)
- 4 tart and crisp red apples, cut into bite-sized chunks (don’t need to peel them)
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp cinnamon
1. Put the water and chopped dates in a medium pot. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Turn the heat down to low, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the apples and spices. Cook covered over low heat for about 7-10 minutes, or until the apples are soft, but still retain their shape. Add a bit more water if they get too thick — you want a bit of sauce.
3. Cool slightly, and serve warm. You might like to serve with frozen yogurt, plain or vanilla Greek yogurt, or crème fraiche.
Adapted from The 4 Ingredient Vegan, by Maribeth Abrams (2010)