Serves 6-8 for dessert, or 4 for breakfast/brunch
• Measuring cup, measuring spoons
• Baking sheet
• 2 quart baking dish (8 X 8, 9 X 9, or 7 X 11 inches)
• Oven mitts
• 1 ¼ cups milk (we used 2%)
• ⅓ cup sugar + 3 Tbs sugar
• 3 eggs
• 1 tablespoon vanilla
• ¹/8 teaspoon salt
• ½ cup flour
• 3 cups pitted cherries, fresh or frozen
• Small pat of butter for baking dish
• powdered sugar, for garnish
1. If using frozen cherries, spread them out on a large baking sheet to thaw for about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine the milk, ⅓ cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt and flour in a blender, and blend.
3. Lightly butter a 2 quart baking dish, and pour a 1/4-inch layer of the blended mixture over the bottom. Set remaining batter aside.
4. Place dish into the oven for about 7-10 minutes, until a film of batter sets in the pan but the mixture is not baked through. Remove from oven (but don’t turn the oven off, yet).
5. Distribute the pitted cherries over the set batter in the pan, then sprinkle with the remaining 3 Tbs sugar. Pour the remaining batter over the cherries and sugar.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until the clafoutis is puffed and brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Let cool about 10 minutes, then sprinkle with powdered sugar pushed through a sieve, and serve warm. Refrigerate left-overs.