2 servings, multiply as needed
• Cutting knife & board
• Small mixing bowl
• Fork, spoon
• Cheese grater or slicer
• Baking sheet
• 1 can (170 g) tuna in water (we used low-sodium)
• 2 Tbs light mayonnaise (more or less, to taste)
• 2 oz. (60 g) cheese, thinly sliced: cheddar, mozzarella, or Monterey Jack are good
• 2 English muffins, preferably whole wheat or multi-grain
• Finely-chopped celery, red or green pepper, roasted red peppers from a jar, black or green olives, dill pickle, red or green onion, apple. Choose 1-3 add-ins that go well together, but only a sprinkling of each
• Herbs or spices: curry powder, fresh dill, freshly-ground pepper (again, choose what you like)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Split English muffins in half and put them on a pan in the oven for a few minutes until slightly toasted.
3. Open and drain tuna and dump it into a small mixing bowl. Add mayonnaise and mix in well.
4. Add any optional add-ins and mix in well.
5. Divide tuna salad among the 4 muffin halves. Top with thinly-sliced cheese.
6. Return to oven for about 7 minutes until cheese is melted and muffins are heated through. If you want your cheese bubbly and browned, you can run the tuna melts under the broiler briefly, but watch closely so they don’t burn.