This is more a method than a precise recipe. Quesadillas are usually made in a frying pan, but because we’re cooking for a crowd, we make ours in the oven.
• Cutting knife, cutting boards
• Bowls for grated cheese, chopped veggies & shredded chicken
• Large baking sheets
• Cheese grater
• Parchment paper
• Metal spatula
• 10-inch flour tortillas, 1 or 2 per person (or use gluten-free, if necessary)
• Grated cheese: cheddar, Monterey Jack, mozzarella are all good
• Cooked shredded chicken (we bought a whole BBQ chicken from the deli section of the supermarket, and shredded the meat – but use left-over cooked chicken if you have it)
• Red and/or green bell pepper, chopped finely
• Refried beans, or canned black beans
• Chopped green onions
• Chopped green chilies from a can
• Chopped roasted red peppers from a jar
• Chopped black or green olives
• Chopped cilantro
• Sour cream, salsa, guacamole
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line the baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Grate the cheese. Prepare your choice of optional extras and put them in individual bowls.
3. Decide how hungry you are: 1 tortilla or 2? If using just one, then sprinkle some cheese on half of the tortilla, leaving a half-inch edge, sprinkle on any optional additions, but not too much, add a bit more cheese, then fold the tortilla in half. If using two tortillas, spread the cheese, then toppings (not too much), then more cheese, over the whole tortilla (leaving a half-inch edge), and top with the second tortilla. Place your tortilla on the baking sheet and use a pencil to write your name on the parchment paper beside it (if you’re cooking with a crowd).
4. Put another piece of parchment paper over the quesadillas on the baking sheet, then put another baking sheet on top to keep them flat.
5. Put them in the oven for about 10 minutes, then use a metal spatula to turn them over, and return to the oven (without the top baking sheet) for about another 5 minutes, until warmed through and crisp on both sides.
6. Let cool for a few minutes before slicing into triangles with a knife or pizza cutter.
7. Serve with toppings of your choice.