Our special St. Patrick’s Day salad, full of green things, including a green dressing.
• Measuring cup, measuring spoons
• Salad bowl
• Salad spinner or dish towels
• Garlic press or micro grater
• Cutting board, cutting knife
• 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• 1 small clove garlic
• ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
• ½ teaspoon salt
• Freshly-ground pepper to taste
• 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
• 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• 1 large head of Romaine lettuce
• 1 cup croutons
• Chopped green onions
• Snap or snow peas
• Chopped celery
• Chopped green pepper
• Sliced cucumber
• Sliced avocado
• Parmesan cheese, shaved or coarsely-grated
1. Peel and finely grate or crush the garlic.
2. Put all dressing ingredients in the blender and blend until thoroughly mixed. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to one week. Shake well before using.
1. Wash the lettuce, dry thoroughly with a salad spinner or clean dish towels. Tear into bite-sized pieces and put them in a large salad bowl.
2. Prepare any optional extras by washing and chopping the veggies, and grating or shaving the parmesan. Set them out in individual bowls.*
3. Just before serving, toss the lettuce with enough dressing to coat the leaves lightly.
4. Let diners add croutons and their own optional extras. If there’s dressing left over, you can put that out too, so diners can add a little extra on top of their extras.
* We handled our croutons and optional additions this way because we have some Supper Club members who don’t like or can’t eat some of them. If you know your diners don’t have any of those restrictions, you can just decide what else you’re going to add to your salad, and toss it all together.