• Cutting knife, cutting boards
• Bowls for chopped veggies & sliced chicken
• Measuring spoons
• Large frying pan or wok
• Large metal spoon for stirring
• Cheese grater
• Clean tea towel or paper towel
• 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound) OR a package of veggie chicken strips
• 1 green bell pepper, sliced in thin strips
• 1 red bell pepper, sliced in thin strips
• ½ medium onion, sliced in thin wedges
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tsp. ground cumin
• 2 tsp. dried oregano
• 1 tsp. chili powder
• cayenne pepper, to taste (optional – start with a pinch)
• salt & pepper, to taste
• 2 Tbsp. olive oil or other vegetable oil
• 4 large whole wheat or multigrain tortillas (or choose gluten-free, if necessary)
choose some or all of these toppings:
shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, sliced green onion, shredded cilantro, salsa, sour cream, grated cheese, avocado slices or guacamole
1. Cut up all your vegetables, including your toppings, using the cutting board you keep for vegetables. Grate the cheese.
2. Cut the chicken breasts into ½-inch wide strips. Use the cutting board you keep for meat.
3. Season the chicken strips (or veggie chicken strips) by tossing them with the salt, pepper, cumin, oregano and chili powder. Add a pinch or more of cayenne pepper, if you like hot, spicy food.
4. Heat the oil in a large pan or wok. Add the onions once the oil is hot and stir until soft. Add the garlic and stir for another half minute.
5. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently.
6. After 2 or 3 minutes, add the green and red bell peppers slices. Continue cooking until chicken is cooked thoroughly (no pinkness in the middle) and bell peppers soften.
7. Warm tortillas in the microwave. Wrap in a slightly damp tea towel or paper towel and microwave 30 seconds until soft and warm.
8. Spoon the fajita filling into warmed tortillas. Add whatever toppings you like, such as lettuce, tomato, green onion, salsa, sour cream and grated cheese. Wrap and eat.