Makes 16 bars
• 13 X 9 inch pan
• Measuring spoons, measuring cup
• Large mixing bowl
• Small pot or microwave-safe dish for melting butter
• Mixing spoon
• Rubber spatula
• Parchment paper
• Cutting board, and knife or pizza cutter
• Oven mitts
• 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
• ½ cup lightly-packed brown sugar
• ⅓ cup melted butter or margarine or coconut oil
• ¼ cup liquid honey or corn syrup
• 1 ½ tsp vanilla
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
• ½ cup unsweetened coconut OR finely-chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc.)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line pan with parchment paper.
2. Melt butter and honey or corn syrup together in a small pot on the stove over medium heat, or a microwave-safe dish for 30 seconds in the microwave (if not quite melted, give it another 20 seconds).
3. In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, and salt, stirring well. Add melted butter/honey mixture and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
4. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts or coconut until evenly mixed.
5. Scrape mixture into prepared pan. Use the back of a fork, or slightly dampened hands, to press the mixture evenly into the pan.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden and crisp. Let cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan by lifting parchment onto a cutting board. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut into bars while still warm. Store cooled bars in an airtight container.
From: Dieticians of Canada Simply Great Food (2007)