The rhubarb cooks itself under a golden sponge-cake topping. This is my favourite rhubarb recipe.
• 1 quart glass or ceramic baking dish
• Cutting board, cutting knife
• Whisk or electric beater
• Wooden spoon
• Sieve or flour sifter
• Rubber spatula
• Measuring cup, measuring spoons
• Aluminium foil (maybe)
• 7 Tbs butter, soft
• ½ cup sugar
• 2 extra-large free-range eggs
• 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 lb rhubarb (about 5 cups)
• 6½ Tbs sugar
1. Cut the rhubarb stalks into 3/4 inch lengths. Dump in a buttered 1-quart baking dish and scatter with the sugar.
2. Heat the oven to 350 F. Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well. Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold through quickly.
3. Spoon the sponge batter evenly over the fruit and bake for 50-60 minutes until the topping is a golden sponge cake and the rhubarb is tender. (If the topping appears to be getting too brown, cover lightly with foil.) May be served warm or cold, with or without cream.
From: Simple Food, by Jill Dupleix. (2002)