• 1 large and 1 medium saucepan
• Measuring cup, measuring spoons
• Cutting board, cutting knife
• Wooden stirring spoon
• 1 litre low-sodium vegetable stock
• ½ cup dry white wine
• 1½ Tbsp. olive oil
• 250 g mushrooms, sliced or quartered
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1½ cups Arborio rice
• 100 g baby spinach, shredded
• salt and finely ground black pepper
• ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
• 30 g (2 Tbs) butter, cut into small bits
1. Place stock and 1 cup cold water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, and keep the stock at a gentle simmer.
2. Meanwhile heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the onion has softened but not browned. Lower heat to medium.
3. Stir in the rice and cook for a further 2 minutes or so until the rice is well-coated in oil.
4. Add the white wine to the rice and cook, stirring, until absorbed. Add stock to the rice, one ladleful at a time, stirring until absorbed before adding the next ladleful. When only a ladle or two of stock remains, stir in the baby spinach or kale, and remaining stock.
5. Remove pan from heat. Stir in parmesan and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Let rest with lid on for 3 to 5 minutes, then serve.