Makes 8 servings
• 2 Large bowls, small microwave-safe dish
• 8 X 8 glass baking dish
• Butter knife, fork
• Measuring cup, measuring spoons
• Small sieve
• Cutting board & paring knife
• 4 cups sliced strawberries (about 1 lb.)
• 3 cups rhubarb, cut in ½ inch pieces
• ⅓ cup white sugar
• 2 tsp cornstarch
• ½ cup all-purpose flour
• ½ cup rolled oats
• ½ cup brown sugar
• ⅓ cup butter
• 2 Tbs hemp hearts (optional, but really good & healthy)
• 1 pinch salt
Optional: whipped cream or ice cream to serve on top (we served ours with vanilla frozen yogourt).
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Mix together strawberries, rhubarb and white sugar in a large bowl. Sift the cornstarch over the fruit, and mix in well. Let sit while you make the topping.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, hemp hearts & salt. Melt butter in microwave-safe dish (start with 30 seconds), then pour over flour-oat mixture and mix in thoroughly with a fork.
4. Stir the fruit mixture well, then dump into 8 X 8 baking dish. Sprinkle the topping mixture evenly over fruit.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, until topping is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Whipped cream or ice cream is nice on top.