(Makes 4-6 servings)
• 10- or 12-inch ovenproof frying pan (no plastic handles – it needs to go under the broiler)
• Cutting boards, cutting knife
• Measuring cup, measuring spoons
• Cheese grater
• Wooden spoon
• metal spatula (or plastic, if using a non-stick frying pan)
• oven mitts
• 8 eggs
• ¼ cup (60 mL) milk, water or broth
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 2 cups (500 mL) filling ingredients (e.g. cooked, chopped vegetables, meat, poultry or seafood)
• fresh or dried herbs, to taste (thyme, oregano, chives, parsley, basil are all good)
• 2 Tbs Butter or olive oil
• ½ – 1 cup (125 – 250 mL) grated cheese of your choice (cheddar, feta, Parmesan, or goat cheese are all good – you can also use a combination)
1. Preheat broiler to 450 F.
2. Put an ovenproof frying pan on medium heat and add oil or butter (or half each).
3. Sauté any uncooked filling ingredients, like bacon, onions, mushrooms, garlic. If you’re using cooked sliced potatoes, it’s nice to sauté them too until they get a bit brown & crispy. Toss in any already-cooked filling ingredients and stir until warm.
4. Whisk eggs, liquid, salt and pepper. Distribute your filling ingredients evenly around the frying pan. Pour egg mixture into frying pan. Cook over medium heat until eggs are almost set but still slightly moist on the surface, about 10 minutes.
5. Sprinkle top with cheese. Place pan under broiler a few inches from element for a couple minutes until cheese melts and top puffs and browns slightly. Watch closely!
6. Let sit 2-3 minutes, then cut in wedges to serve. You can serve frittata hot, warm, or room temperature.