Serves 6 (or more)
• Knife, cutting board
• Lemon juicer
• Measuring cup, measuring spoons
• Medium-sized bowl
• 9 inch square baking pan
• Parchment paper or cooking spray
• Wire rack
• 1 cup (250 ml) All-purpose flour (or whole wheat – we used whole wheat)
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) Sugar
• ¼ cup (60 ml) Margarine, non-hydrogenated, or butter, or coconut oil (we used coconut oil)
• 1 cup (250 ml) Brown sugar, packed
• 3 tbsp (45 ml) Lemon juice
• 2 large Eggs
• ½ cup (125 ml) Coconut (we used unsweetened)
• 2/3 cup (150 ml) Icing sugar
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) Lemon juice
• 1 tsp (5 ml) Lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9” square pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Combine flour and sugar in a bowl; cut in margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press mixture into baking pan and bake for 10 minutes on middle rack of oven.
3. Combine brown sugar, lemon juice and eggs in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in coconut; pour evenly into pan. Bake an additional 25 minutes or until set.
4. Cool for 10 minutes or longer on a wire rack. Prepare glaze by combining powdered sugar, the rest of the lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir with a whisk. Spread glaze evenly over squares.
Adapted from: Sobeys Dietitians http://docs.com/18H0H (scroll down until you get to this recipe)