This is a variation on our other fruit crisps: apple, and strawberry-rhubarb. We use the same topping on all of them, and just vary the fruit filling.
Makes 6-8 servings
• 2 Large bowls, small microwave-safe dish
• 8 X 8 glass or ceramic baking dish
• Butter knife, fork
• Measuring cup, measuring spoons
• Cutting board & paring knife
For the filling:
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- ¹/8 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 pounds ripe but firm peaches (about 8 medium peaches), washed, halved, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
For the topping:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 pinch salt
Optional: whipped cream, Greek yogourt, or ice cream to serve on top
1. Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C) and arrange a rack in the middle of the oven.
2. Place the brown sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the peaches and stir until evenly coated.
3. Transfer the peach mixture to an 8-by-8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and arrange slices in an even layer.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, oats, sugar, pecans & salt. Melt butter in microwave-safe dish (start with 30 seconds), then pour over flour-oat mixture and mix in thoroughly with a fork. Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over peaches.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, until topping is golden brown. Place the dish on a wire rack to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature. Whipped cream, yogourt, or ice cream is nice on top.