Makes 4 servings
- Large pot
- Large frying pan or wok
- Measuring cups & measuring spoons
- Wooden stirring spoon
- large sieve for draining noodles
- cutting board & cutting knife
- 12 oz whole wheat spaghetti (or other noodles of choice — use gluten-free if necessary)
- ½ cup smooth natural peanut butter (or substitute almond butter, if you need peanut-free)
- 2 Tbs rice vinegar
- 3 Tbs soy sauce (make sure it’s gluten-free, if necessary)
- 1 Tbs ginger root, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 Tbs freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- ½ cup water, more or less
- About 2-3 cups veggies of choice: green beans, sliced carrots, sweet potatoes in small dice, shredded red or savoy cabbage, snow peas, bean sprouts, sliced red or green pepper, sliced mushrooms, sliced onions
- 8 oz. pressed, cubed extra-firm tofu OR chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces OR raw peeled shrimp
Toppings – choose some or all
- 3 green onions, sliced small
- Chopped cilantro
- Roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Fill large pot with water and put on stove on high heat. Bring to boil.
- Prepare your veggies, choice of protein, & toppings. Get them ready by the stove.
- Combine sauce ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- When water boils, add your noodles. Check package to see how long they need to cook. Some veggies are best cooked with your pasta, you can add them when there’s just enough time remaining to cook them. Carrots & sweet potatoes will take several minutes, snow peas and green beans only 3 or so. Other veggies, like peppers, onions & mushrooms, are best stir fried, in the next step below.
- Meanwhile, add a little oil to your frying pan or wok and fry your protein of choice until done. Remove from pan and add a little more oil, if you have veggies like onions, mushrooms, cabbage or peppers to stir fry. Give them a few minutes in a hot pan, stirring constantly, just until they start to soften a bit.
- Drain noodles & veggies, keeping a cup or so of the pasta water in case you need to add it to thin the sauce. Mix together noodles, veggies, and protein, and toss with sauce, adding reserved pasta water if necessary to get it the consistency you like. Serve, and let diners sprinkle with toppings of their choice.