serves 4 as a main dish salad, 8 as a side salad
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 – 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 – 19-oz (540 mL) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 14-oz (398 mL) can of artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed and quartered
- 15 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped (we kept these separate, so those who like olives could add them)
- 1 not-too-large head of romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- freshly-ground pepper
1. Whisk dressing ingredients together in a large salad bowl. Or, put them all in a small jar, put on the lid, shake it up, and then if you don’t use all the dressing, you can store the extra in the same jar.
2. Add the salad ingredients to the dressing in the salad bowl, except for the lettuce and pepper. Or add your dressing to the salad ingredients, if you’ve made it in a jar. Mix well
3. If you have time, marinate the salad in the fridge for an hour or so. If not, carry on.
4. Just before serving, toss in the lettuce and mix well, seasoning with freshly-ground pepper.
Adapted from Michel Smith’s recipe in Fast Flavours (2012)