We’ve also made this using half apples, half pears. A lovely fall or winter dessert.
Makes 8 servings
- Large bowl, small microwave-safe dish
- 8 X 8 pan
- Butter knife, fork
- Measuring cup
- Cutting board & paring knife OR apple corer/peeler
- 5 apples (or use some pears) – cored & thinly sliced (peeling is optional)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 pinch salt
- Optional: whipped cream or ice cream to serve on top
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Place sliced apples in an 8 X 8 baking dish. Drizzle apples with maple syrup.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, oats, sugar & salt. Melt butter in microwave-safe dish (a glass measuring cup is great — start with 30 seconds), then pour over flour-oat mixture and mix in thoroughly with a fork. Sprinkle mixture evenly over apples.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, until topping is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Whipped cream or ice cream is nice on top.