This is the classic version, but feel free to make additions, substitutions and deletions, according to your preferences. For vegetarians and those who don’t like tuna, we had chickpeas. Almost everybody in our crowd left off the olives.
- Measuring cup, measuring spoons
- Jar with lid
- Salad bowl
- Salad spinner or dish towels
- Cutting board, cutting knife
- Can opener
- 2 medium pots with lids
- Sieve or colander
- enough bowls/plates to set out salad ingredients
- 3 Tbs white wine vinegar
- 1/2 shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 Tbs dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound red-skinned potatoes, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 10 ounces haricots verts or thin green beans, trimmed
- 4 large eggs
- 8 cherry tomatoes or small cocktail tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- 8 radishes, trimmed and quartered
- 2 5 1/2 -ounce cans tuna packed in olive oil, drained (we used water-packed)
- 1/2 cup nicoise olives
- Place dressing ingredients in a medium jar with tight-fitting lid and shake well.
- Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with cold water and season with salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook until fork-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a medium bowl; drizzle with the wine and let cool. Reserve the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, bring a separate saucepan of salted water to a boil. Fill a bowl with salted ice water. Add the green beans to the boiling water; cook until crisp-tender and bright green, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain and immediately plunge into the ice water to cool; drain and pat dry.
- Place the eggs in the reserved saucepan and cover with cold water by about 1 inch. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then cover, remove from the heat and let stand, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, then run under cold water to cool. Peel under cold running water. Cut into quarters.
- Toss the tomatoes in a small bowl with salt and pepper to taste. Add about 1/4 cup dressing to the potatoes and toss.
- Wash and dry the lettuce. Divide the lettuce among 4 plates. Arrange the potatoes, green beans, radishes, hard-cooked eggs and tuna on top. Pour any juices from the tomatoes into the dressing, then add the tomatoes to the plates. Drizzle with the dressing and top with the olives.
Recipe adapted from Food Network: