Makes 3 – 4 servings
- 2 large baking pans
- Cutting board, cutting knife
- Can opener
- Oven mitts
- Cheese grater
- Microwave-safe dish with lid
- Parchment paper (optional)
- 2-3 cups grated cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, or a combination)
- 1 bag tortilla chips (about 320 g.) (make sure they’re gluten-free, if you need them to be)
Toppings of your choice:
- Black beans (from a can)
- Refried beans (from a can)
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped jalapeno peppers (from a jar or can)
- Chopped red and/or green peppers
- Sliced black olives
More toppings for after the nachos come out of the oven:
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. You might want to line the baking sheets with parchment paper, to make clean-up easier.
- Prepare your toppings: chop the veggies, grate the cheese.
- Spread half the tortilla chips on the baking pans.
- If you’re using black beans and/or refried beans, it’s a good idea to warm them up first. Put them in a microwave-safe container, with a lid, and heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Make a layer of toppings and cheese over the tortilla chips (use about half), then the rest of the tortilla chips, toppings, and a final layer of cheese over everything.
- Bake 6-8 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with bowls of salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.