- Measuring cup, measuring spoons
- Jar with lid
- Salad bowl, salad serving spoons
- Salad spinner or dish towels
- Garlic press, or micro grater
- Cutting board, cutting knife
- Baking sheet for toasting pitas
- lemon juicer
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2 lemons (about 6 Tbs)
- 1 tsp sumac (Atlantic Superstore has it in the spice section)
- 2 9-inch whole wheat pita bread, separated into thin halves
- olive oil for brushing
- about 1 generous tsp sumac
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 500g cherry tomatoes, halved (or regular-sized tomatoes, chopped)
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthways, chopped
- 1 red or green pepper, chopped
- 1 small Romaine lettuce, or lettuce heart, washed, dried, and cut into ribbons
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, coarsely chopped
Combine all ingredients in a screw-top jar. Secure lid. Shake until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Brush insides of Pita bread halves (the rough side) with olive oil, then sprinkle with sumac and a little salt. Place on baking sheet and bake for a few minutes until crisp and golden. Watch carefully, so they don’t burn. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place tomatoes, cucumbers, red pepper, Romaine, green onions, parsley and mint in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing. Toss gently to combine.
- Break toasted pitas into bite-sized pieces. Add to salad. Toss gently and serve immediately.
Adapted from several online sources and library cookbooks