This is sort of a crustless Greek quiche, loaded with cheese. It’s rich and flavourful, delicious served warm or room temperature.
Makes 4 servings
- 23cm/9 in round springform pan (or 8 X 8 in casserole dish)
- Cutting board, cutting knife
- Metal spatula, rubber spatula
- Wire whisk
- Wooden stirring spoon
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons, measuring cups
- Cheese grater
- Medium Frying pan
- Sieve for sifting
- Kitchen scale, if measuring by weight
- 1 onion, sliced
- 25g/1 oz./2 Tbs butter
- 30 ml/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large leeks, chopped, total weight about 450 g/1 lb
- 115 g/4 oz/1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2.5 ml/½ tsp baking soda
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 200 g/7 oz/1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 300g/11 oz feta cheese, cubed
- 115g/4 oz/1-1½ c. grated Gruyere cheese or parmesan
- 60 ml/4 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
1. Sauté the onion in the butter and oil until light golden. Add the chopped leeks and cook over a low heat for 10-12 mins until soft. Cool a little.
2. Preheat the oven to 350℉. Lightly grease 23cm/9 in round springform pan (or 8 X 8 in casserole dish).
3. Sift the flour and baking soda into a bowl. Stir in the yogurt, eggs, feta, leek, onion, and season well. Set aside 30 ml/2 Tbs of the grated cheese, then stir the rest, and the dill, into the batter.
4. Spoon mixture evenly into prepared pan, smoothing top, and sprinkle on remaining grated cheese. Bake for 40-45 mins until golden. Cool pie somewhat before removing from tin. Can be served warm or room temperature. Serve with olive oil drizzled over the top, if you like.
Adapted from: The Greek Cook: Simple Seasonal Food / Rena Salaman (2001)