Here is another variation on our seasonal fruit crisps. This one is great in winter. Dates give it sweetness, and nuts add crunch.
Makes 8 servings
• Large bowl, small microwave-safe dish
• 8 X 8 baking dish
• Butter knife, fork
• Measuring cup
• Cutting board & paring knife OR apple corer/peeler
• 5 medium apples – cored & thinly sliced (peeling is optional)
• 6 – 8 fresh dates, chopped (we used Bam, which we get at the MidEast Food Centre at Agricola & Robie, but Medjool are fine too)
• ½ cup all-purpose flour
• ½ cup rolled oats
• 3 Tbs. chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
• ½ cup brown sugar
• ⅓ cup butter
• 1 pinch salt
• Optional: whipped cream or ice cream or Greek yogurt to serve on top
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Place sliced apples and chopped dates in an 8 X 8 baking dish. Mix them up so the dates are evenly distributed.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, oats, nuts (if using), sugar & salt. Melt butter in microwave-safe dish (a glass measuring cup is great — start with 30 seconds), then pour over flour-oat mixture and mix in thoroughly with a fork. Sprinkle mixture evenly over apples.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, until topping is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Whipped cream or ice cream or Greek yogurt is nice on top.