Serves 4-6 as a side dish
There are versions of this salad right across the Middle East and Mediterranean. This version is Armenian, and called jajig.
- Knife and cutting board
- Garlic crusher or micrograter
- Stirring spoon
- Measuring cup, measuring spoons
- Medium mixing bowl
- 2 ½ cups plain low-fat yogourt
- 1 English cucumber
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbs finely-chopped fresh mint or 1 tsp dried mint
- a pinch of chilli powder as a garnish
- Peel the cucumber and quarter it lengthwise, then chop finely.
- Pour the yogurt into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the salt, garlic, cucumber and mint, and mix well.
- Refrigerate, covered, until serving time. Dust lightly with chilli powder just before serving.
From: Vegetarian Dishes from across the Middle East / Arto der Haroutunian (2008)